LogRhythm NetMon Freemium | Free Network Monitoring Tool
Achieve enterprise-wide visibility for free. Download NetMon Freemium for real-time network-based threat detection and network-based incident response. Watch the video to the right to learn more about how NetMon can help you detect threats on your network in real time. Or give NetMon Freemium a try today by requesting your download link via the button below.
6 Ways to Use NetMon Freemium to Secure Your Network
Not sure where to get started with NetMon Freemium? Here are six ideas of how to use our free tool to discover threats on your network.
- Surface data exfiltration activities: Identify long-running sessions, “low and slow” sessions hidden in normal traffic, anomalous outbound network sessions, and other activities indicative of data exfiltration.
- Discover operational anomalies: Verify that you aren’t seeing protocols or traffic that you think you’ve blocked or traffic between systems that should be isolated from each other.
- Find hiding security threats: Catch security threats hiding in low-level chatty protocol like DNS, SNMP, or Kerberos.
- Detect botnets and beaconing: Identify traffic using anomalous ports. View malformed packet headers. Recognize command and control callbacks.
- Expose nuisance apps and bandwidth hogs: Discover when apps that are against corporate policy are being used. Find out who or what is taking up the most bandwidth.
- See where your network traffic is going: Identify outbound IP and URL destinations and classify traffic by ingress, egress or lateral motion in your network.
NetMon Freemium vs. Full Commercial License
- Search against all observed network traffic
- Identify abnormal traffic patterns and application usage
- Quickly analyze full packet captures
|Unstructured Search Across All Network Data||✔||✔||✔|
|Deep Packet Analytics||✔||✔||✔|
|Full Packet Capture & SmartCapture™||✔||✔||✔|
|Automatic Recognition of 3,500+ Applications||✔||✔||✔|
|Continuous Search-Based Alerting||✔||✔||✔|
|Data Forwarding via Syslog||Diagnostics and Alarms||✔||✔|
|Data Processing Rate||Up to 1 Gbps||Up to 10 Gbps||Up to 10 Gbps per sensor|
|Packet Capture Storage||1 GB||Unlimited||Unlimited|
|Metadata Indexing Retention||Up to 3 days||Up to 30 days||Unlimited SmartFlow metadata|
|Correlation with Additional Data Sources||✔|
|Automated Response Capabilities||✔|
|Full Investigative Workflow||✔|
|Support||Online only, through the Community||Enterprise-grade phone and chat support||Enterprise-grade phone and chat support|
Download NetMon Freemium
Ready to deploy NetMon Freemium to quickly identify threats in your IT environment and accelerate incident response?
NetMon Freemium Deployment Scenarios
On a server:
For maximum performance
On a mini-PC: For small and
On a VM running on a computer: For
capturing local traffic to/from your PC
Minimum Requirements for NetMon Freemium
For best results, a dedicated system that meets the requirements found in the FAQ is recommended. However, NetMon Freemium can be configured to run on a smaller footprint.
NetMon Freemium is Linux-based. The installer includes CentOS 7.2 Minimal and NetMon.
- Free disk space: 60 GB
- Memory: 12 GB RAM recommended, 8 GB RAM minimum
- CPU/Processor: 4 cores recommended, 2 cores minimum
- Network Interface Controllers (NICs): 2 1Gbps NICs recommended, 1 1Gbps NIC minimum
Learn More About LogRhythm NetMon Freemium
NetMon Freemium is supported by our community. The LogRhythm Community is full of NetMon experts ranging from in-house developers and professional support consultants, to experienced customers. Log in to ask questions, watch tutorials, and download documentation.