The Federal Information Security Management Act (FISMA) requires that all federal agencies document and implement controls for information technology systems that support their operations and assets.
9 Steps for FISMA Compliance
The National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) outlines nine steps for FISMA compliance:
- Categorize the information to be protected
- Select minimum base controls
- Refine controls using a risk-assessment procedures
- Document the controls in the system security plan
- Implement security controls in the appropriate information systems
- Assess the effectiveness of the security controls once they have been implemented
- Determine the agency-level risk to the mission or business case
- Authorize the information system for processing
- Monitor the security controls on a continuous basis
LogRhythm Simplifies FISMA Compliance
Fully automate log collection, archiving and recovery across your agency’s entire infrastructure with LogRhythm. You’ll have the tools at your fingertips to align your organization’s risk assessment with forensic investigations, reporting and prioritization settings. To start, the LogRhythm NextGen SIEM Platform automatically performs the first level of log analysis. Log data is categorized, identified and normalized for easy analysis and reporting. With LogRhythm’s Case Management feature, you’ll be able to easily conduct forensic investigations around incident response activity.
Download the LogRhythm Compliance Support for FISMA White Paper
Learn how LogRhythm’s powerful alerting capability automatically identifies your most critical issues and notifies necessary personnel.